Mental health and wellbeing resources
If you or someone else is in immediate danger, please call 000 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.
If you or someone you know is experiencing distress or a mental health problem, there are several resources available to help. Talking with a GP is a good start. He or she can assist you to find help that is suited to you. If you don’t have a GP, there are some online service locators to help you:
Services by region
- Australian Capital Territory: 1800 629 354 (mental health triage) http://www.health.act.gov.au/our-services/mental-health
- New South Wales: 1800 011 511 (mental health line) www.health.nsw.gov.au
- Northern Territory: 1800 682 288 (mental health line) https://nt.gov.au/wellbeing/mental-health/24-hour-mental-health-hotlines
- Queensland: 13 43 25 84 (health advice over the phone) https://www.qld.gov.au/health/contacts/advice/13health
- South Australia: 13 14 65 (mental health triage service) http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Public+Content/SA+Health+Internet/Health+services/Mental+health+services/
- Tasmania: 1800 332 388 (mental health services helpline) http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/mentalhealth
- Victoria: 1300 651 251 (SuicideLine Victoria) http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealthservices/approved.htm
- Western Australia: 1800 552 002 (outside metro area), 1800 676 822 (peel callers) 1300 555 788 (metro callers) http://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/J_M/Mental-health-emergency
Anonymous and instant support for mental health issues
There are several 24-hour phone lines available if you need to get help, get a referral, or just want to talk to someone:
- Lifeline: 13-11-14. Provides counselling, professional support and local referrals. Online support such as crisis chat is also available at set times.
- Suicide Call back Service: 1300 659 467. Provides counselling for people at risk of suicide. There is also a possibility of access to up to six sessions of counselling with the same counsellor at times scheduled to suit you.
- Men’s Line Australia: 1300 78 99 78. A telephone and online counselling service for men with family and relationship concerns.
- 1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732. Confidential information, counselling and support service for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence.
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800. Provides free, private, confidential telephone and online counselling service for young people aged between 5 and 25.
Information about mental health issues
- BeyondBlue Provides information on depression and related disorders, available treatment and referrals to relevant services. Also available by phone on 1300 22 4636.
- SANE Australia Provides factsheets and other information on a range of mental health issues.
- ReachOut Australia Targeting young people in particular, ReachOut can help you by improving your understanding of the issues that relate to your mental health and wellbeing and providing information to better understand other people's experiences.
- Headspace Provides online and telephone support and counselling to young people aged 12 to 25.
Online programs to support mental health and wellbeing
There are some online programs that have been developed to help you deal with a range of mental health issues and support overall wellbeing.
- ifarmwell: An online toolkit to help farmers cope effectively with life’s challenges and get the most out of every day.
- The Ripple Effect: An online intervention designed to investigate what works to reduce the self-stigma (negative attitudes you have towards yourself) and perceived-stigma (negative attitudes you believe others have about you) among males from the farming community, aged 30-64 years, who have been bereaved by suicide, attempted suicide, cared for someone who attempted suicide, have had thoughts of suicide, or been touched by suicide in some other way.
- Mindspot: A free telephone and online service for Australian adults troubles by symptoms of anxiety or depression.
- myCompass: A personalised self-help tool for your mental health.
- ThisWayUp: Provides online courses have been clinically proven to help.
- Headtohealth: To help you find the information, resources, and services that most suit your mental health needs.
- Beacon: Portal to online applications for mental and physical disorders